When does a decision to renovate a kitchen come to people’s minds? Perhaps, they have not made any cosmetic improvements to it for a long time or simply have gotten tired of the old design. Some want to refresh their kitchen and add a fresh touch to it, whereas others decide to go for a full renovation and change everything completely.
Here are the most common reasons for starting a kitchen renovation project:
- Since we are living in a world where we have to think of the environment and how many resources we consume, one might want to substitute old kitchen appliances with those that would allow people to save water and energy.
- Some are thinking of selling their house or apartment, and, of course, renovated accommodation will make it possible to get more money from the deal and will add value to your investment.
- People do not feel that their kitchen matches their style. Some even say that they started cooking less because being in an outdated kitchen does not give them much pleasure. If you want to enjoy the process of cooking, you should make your kitchen fit all your needs, and style is not the least of them.
- While the primary feature of a kitchen is to be a place for cooking, it can also become a spot where you will get together with family and friends or even be a place to work. Redesigning the area could help you reach the necessary goal.
- Some kitchens are cramped and do not have enough storage, so people decide to go for different options, even knocking down the walls to make a kitchen more spacious and inviting.
If you feel that you recognize yourself for one of the reasons that we described above, maybe it is time to think of a kitchen renovation project. Of course, it is quite challenging to do it on your own, but thankfully, professionals like A+ Construction and Remodeling will do their best to make you fall in love with your new kitchen.
It is not a secret that renovating a kitchen is the hardest part of the whole makeover because you need to deal with a lot of things. Let us now take a look at the things you will need to consider when you decide to get down to making your kitchen look perfect.
Planning the right layout
It is especially vital when you are not satisfied with the current layout of your kitchen.
Think of the primary purpose that your new kitchen will be serving and choose from the following options:
- A gourmet kitchen
- A kitchen for a family
- A kitchen for parties
Below we are going to look into each type in a bit more detail.
1. Gourmet kitchen
If you are a foodie and in love with cooking, you should cast a look at this type of kitchen because it will allow you to put all your crazy ideas into practice. One of the most important questions to ask here is how many zones you would like to have and what each zone will be used for, and plan accordingly.
Think of the kitchen appliances you already have and if they are enough for you or if you need to buy something else. If you prefer baking, it is a good idea to think about a good oven. If you are mostly into frying and boiling, you might want to consider having professional pans, saucepans, and a convenient place to store them. In case you love to complement your dinner with a glass of wine, you will only benefit from setting up storage for wine bottles.
And if you cook a lot, do not forget about a dishwasher and a sturdy cooking surface that is durable and stain- and water-resistant.
2. Family-friendly type
For those who have kids, the kitchen can become a versatile room where the family will be doing different activities, so it is important to adapt your kitchen to a variety of needs.
Try to predict how many people your kitchen would accommodate at the same time and what the allocation of zones will be. If you want to watch your kids doing homework while getting dinner ready, you will need to have a special area where the children will feel comfortable.
And do not forget about pets if you have them! It is also essential to give some thought to whether you are going to have friends and family get-togethers in the kitchen or will use it mostly for preparing meals.
With all that in mind, the factors you can not miss are:
- Surfaces that are durable and will not take much effort to clean
- Accessible drawers and cabinets that kids could reach themselves if they need to grab a snack you have prepared for them
- A kitchen island where you can keep washed fruit, vegetables, and snacks that any family member could use when they feel a little hungry before a proper dinner comes
- A big refrigerator, especially one with separate drawers. Some items are not meant for kids, so if you want to be on the safe side and avoid poisoning or situations alike, try to keep things that are safe for kids separately from those that are not.
3. Kitchen for entertainment
It does not really matter what size your kitchen is, it can be a place for a good party in any case, and you can help it become so if you carefully think through the ways to serve food and drinks. When planning a kitchen of this type, also keep in mind what kind of parties you usually host and how many people pop in. And, of course, do not forget to think ahead and plan a cooking area if you still wish your kitchen to have this purpose.
Kitchens for parties usually feature the following things:
- Non-expensive kitchen appliances because you do not need to invest a lot in something you are not going to use often
- Wine coolers and wine drawers, especially if you love combining food and drink at your events.
- The presence of a kitchen island will depend on the kitchen size, but having one can do a good job when it comes to serving food and making it accessible to all the people in the house.
- Warming drawers, whether you cook yourself or order delivery, will keep the food warm so that your guests can enjoy it to the fullest.
If you are still in two minds about the kitchen type that you need most, you can always turn to A+ construction and Remodeling to find the most appropriate solution to the needs you have.
Thinking of the budget
Budget can become the most sensitive part of your future kitchen plan. There are a lot of things to consider and keep in mind when you are thinking of kitchen renovation, and it is important to decide what you are ready to splash out on and where it is best to save. Always plan the budget so that you have a plan B in case something goes wrong with the initial idea – this way, you can also save time on thinking about how to find a way around it.
Here we are going to give you an overview of things to do when you consider your budget for kitchen renovation:
- Do some research. Study all the options that are available on the market and pick the best alternatives for you. Then, if something does not go according to the plan, you will always have the chance to do last-minute alterations. For example, the material you ordered can be out of stock, or there is not enough quantity of it. But in case you already know what could become a substitute, this will not be that stressful.
- Know your limits. Evaluate your budget and set the maximum amount of money you are going to spend on renovation. It is a good idea to have a wish list in case you have some extra cash after you have finished with all the necessary details.
- Be ready for sudden changes. You never know what you will find when you have demolished some constructions or knocked the walls down. This is especially true for the houses that were built in the last century. Sometimes you will need to do some testing or have to upgrade certain systems in your apartment, which requires extra expenses because all the above need to be done by a professional.
Evaluating your investment
When you have decided on a budget, the next step is to assess and evaluate what you can splash out on and where you can save money. First and foremost, you need to remember that a renovated kitchen will serve you for the next decade, so think carefully about the appliances, materials, and cabinetry. Below you will find a few tips on that.
Think practically and choose the appliances that will allow you to reduce your long-term expenses. For example, choosing energy-efficient appliances might be a better idea despite a higher cost because they will let you save quite an amount of money in the future.
It is also necessary to choose appliances with a warranty so that in case there is a flaw or they stop working properly; you can turn to the producer and have your problem solved without paying.
Ask yourself how often you will be using a countertop and whether it will become something you will be centering your renovation project around. If you are going for a gourmet kitchen option, it is worth choosing a durable, water-resistant surface that will be easy to clean and maintain in good condition. You can opt for a cheaper kind of countertop if you do not plan to cook much and will be using a countertop mostly for serving.
This is what usually gives a kitchen its look, together with flooring and countertops. The price of cabinetry can reach outrageous sums, and it is only up to you which features of it to choose from, for example, whether you need a lot of drawers, shelves, or roll-out trays.
If you are looking for large storage space, you could consider having cabinets that are extended to the ceiling. In case you just need a place to put a few jars and a carafe, you could well do with extra shelves.
But regardless of the storage space, there are a couple of things you should definitely think about so that your new kitchen becomes a convenient place to be, such as a place to dump waste and soft-close cabinet doors. Hire a professional to install your kitchen, and this is where it is not the right place to save. Kitchen installation is not just hanging cabinetry and attaching it to the wall.
If you want your kitchen to look neat, ask an experienced person to do it for you. Turn to A+ Construction and Remodeling if you seek help in terms of kitchen installation.
There are many kinds and types of flooring to choose from, and it is easy to get lost there. Anyway, there are some timeless options like tile or laminate, each having its own pros and cons. Consider the purpose of your future kitchen one more time and research the materials used for flooring. Be sure that it is not slippery, though, and can resist water well. You can go for cheaper materials like vinyl if you do not plan to spend much time in the kitchen or choose wood or porcelain in case you are an avid cook.
A+ Construction and Remodeling is ready to help
We hope that we can provide you with valuable advice in terms of planning kitchen renovation so that you can make an informed decision about whether you are thinking of a full renovation or just cosmetic improvements.
In any case, if you have doubts about budget, style, materials, or installation, we will be happy to provide you with the necessary help in our office.